Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A First for Me

Something really neat happened to me last week at the jail. One of the young ladies came up to me at the start of class and said she wanted to talk to me because she had something she wanted to ask me. So we sat down at the back of the room and she explained to me that they had watched a video in class that talked about Spiritual Parents and she wanted me to be her Spiritual Mother. She went on to talk about how her natural mom turned her back on her when she was young and how she never really had a mom after that. She now has two young kids and CPS is trying to take them away from her. I was kind of taken back by her request because that is the first time I've been asked to be someones spiritual parent. But, despite that, I said yes. She started crying because she was so happy that someone actually wanted to be a mom to her. Every since that day each time I see her in class she calls me 'mom' and each time I feel so honored. We talk about the things she is going to do after her release and the things she is going to be involved in. She asked if my being her 'mom' meant that I was her kids 'grandma'...I told her not to push her luck! We both laughed, but I can tell that she already feels better about herself now that she has someone in her life to look up to and loves her unconditionally. What an honor to be her Spiritual Mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats so awesome! i think what GOD is doing through you is just so great,man-o-man you became a mother and granny all in one day,what shall we call you now,ummm i know how about Madea nothing but the best peace!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tomi,

WOW, what a honor. Madea, Chris you so funny. Anyway Tomi you are such an inspiration for me, thanks for sharing. People have the misconception that because a person has been in the Word or a Christian a long time that they are doing what they should be doing. NOT…. What you are doing is what it is all about. I salute you today.

Deborah

Tomi Cardin said...

Thanks Chris and Deborah! You guys are a trip! You don't need to call me anything but Tomi. You guys are a blessing to me. It is an honor to serve God with you!